Are the high gas prices making you think twice about going birding? Jon Woolf provides some tips on conserving gas and still getting out birding in the Summer 2021 issue of New Hampshire Bird Records. His article is now available on the website.
For eBird users there’s also a free article about Managing Locations using the eBird Mobile app (use the link above).
This issue has the summary of the Summer 21 birding season – remember the Roseate Spoonbill, the Eared Grebe, Lark Bunting and Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks? It was quite a season of rarities. You can read about nesting Sandhill Cranes in the state, birding in the Ossipee Mountains, how you can help Purple Martins, and many more highlights, including these articles:
· Regional Report, Summer 2021 – Sullivan County and Lake Sunapee by Dylan Jackson
· Vagrancy and the Roseate Spoonbill by Stephen Mirick
· Migration in Summer by Robert A. Quinn
· Red-tailed Hawk Chick Raised by Bald Eagles by Diana Stephens and Chris Martin
· The A-List Birds of the Lakes Region by Rob Woodward
· Photo Gallery – Airport Marsh Grebes and Bitterns
· What to Watch for in Summer
Summer 2021 Cover Photo: This Roseate Spoonbill was a first state record, found on July 30, 2021 in Gorham, NH. Photo by Steve Bennett, 8-1-21